The James S. Copley Library
Was located at 7776 Ivanhoe Ave, La Jolla, CA. The Copley Library featured a world-class collection of books and manuscripts of historical significance.
The library, funded by Copley Newspapers, was founded by James S. Copley in 1966. Its collections included works and research materials on the American Revolutionary War, the Southwest, John Charles Fremont, Jessie Benton Fremont, Robinson Jeffers, Benito Juarez, Abraham Lincoln and Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), as well as presidential correspondence and limited-edition books.
The library maintained a small photographic reproductions department which supplied photographic and xerographic copies of most library materials, subject to approval. A price list was available. Readers were not allowed to make their own copies.
The library was open to the public with advance reservations. Handling of materials was limited to the library staff and scholars but the staff was available as a resource for use by historians, scholars and other qualified people.
Applications for reading privileges had to be obtained prior to scheduling an appointment. All applicants were asked to complete a brief form and to provide letters of recommendations from two people of recognized standing in the academic field who could testify to his or her qualifications as a scholar. Additional information on extensive reading and research privileges could be obtained by writing the library at PO Box 1530, La Jolla, CA 92038.
Our mission is to be the leader in providing news, information and marketing services indispensable to customers in our diverse region. We will ensure our future by continuously improving our products and services, enhancing our financial strength and upholding the highest standards of journalistic quality.
Above all, integrity